Denise Goldberg's blog

Rolling by the shortest coastline
Three states, two wheels, one day - and repeat!

Monday, May 8, 2006

Maps

...in case you want to repeat my wanderings.

I'm one of those people who is addicted to maps. And while I could have headed out on this trip without any (since I was essentially wandering in my own back yard), of course I didn't!

For my route in Massachusetts, I used both my own memory and the Rubel Bikemaps - Eastern Massachusetts map. Believe it or not, I actually did use this map. I knew that there were three different bridges I could use to cross the Merrimack River. I didn't even consider the bridge in Groveland because at that point I wanted to stay on the south side of the river. And the bridge at the eastern edge of the state, crossing from the Newburyport area, is the bridge that carries Route 1. Bikes are allowed on that bridge, but it's a heavy traffic bridge. The bridge I was looking for was in the middle. The problem? I knew approximately where it was, but I needed the exact location. As it turns out I didn't really need the map to tell me how to find the bridge since contrary to the usual Massachusetts sign habits, the road to this bridge was very well marked! The map also steered me to the small roads that hugged the northern edge of the river as opposed to the busier numbered roads.

I have to admit that I really didn't need a map to find the road along the New Hampshire coast. After all, there is only one road! But I did take a map in case I needed (wanted?) to wander away from my planned path. The map was one from the New Hampshire Bike Maps set, the map of the Seacoast region. And by the way, if you are planning any wandering in New Hampshire I recommend getting the entire map set from the New Hampshire Department of Transportation.