Denise Goldberg's blog

Rolling by the shortest coastline
Three states, two wheels, one day - and repeat!

Saturday, May 6, 2006

Photos: New Hampshire




The first view of the ocean from the road, on the bridge between Seabrook Beach and Hampton Beach









I could stand and watch the waves for hours, even on days like today when the ocean is relatively quiet. But I really do need to get back on my bike, there are still miles to roll...



I'm so glad I get to tour with Denise! I was going to go swimming, but she convinced me the water is still a bit chilly.



My camera just kept taking more and more pictures of this fascinating mute swan. I felt like the swan was saying "Are you looking at me? Watch out, I'm going to come join you!"



"Wait, I'm going to take one more drink before I get out of the water."



Hmmm... dry land. What's that dry stuff? Do I have to step on it?



Ah, I really can walk on this grass.



Oh, excuse me - I have to take care of this itch!



Yup, that's me - a happy cyclist and photographer, just before heading slightly away from the coast.





Ah, finally - the bridge to Maine. Yes, I'm happy to walk across this bridge.



There are three bridges between Portsmouth and Kittery, only one of which can be traversed by a bicycle. The (Route 1) bridge I am walking across, and the closer of the two bridges in the background (Route 1A) - are lift bridges. The center section between the two high structures lifts up to let boats through. The arched bridge in the back carries I95 traffic, and is quite a bit higher than the two lift bridges.